Obama says no signs Orlando shooter was part of larger plot
WASHINGTON (AP) — The gunman in the attack that killed 49 people at an Orlando nightclub was inspired by extremist information over the internet, President Barack Obama said Monday, calling it an apparent example of "homegrown extremism" that U.S. officials have been worrying about for years.
Obama, speaking in the Oval Office after meeting with the FBI director, said the attack appears similar to the shooting late last year in San Bernardino, California, though he added that "we don't yet know."
"At this stage, we see no clear evidence that he was directed externally," Obama said, referring to suggestions that the Islamic State group or other extremists had orchestrated the attack.
